After writing about date nights last week, I started thinking about those of you who don’t have easy access to (or funds for) babysitting, and decided to compile a list of great movies for date nights at home. I’ve included links to Amazon (to buy), Amazon Instant Video (24- or 48-hour rentals), and Netflix (to rent or stream). We stream over our home wifi network to a computer or a TV using our Roku; the selection of available titles changes with time.
Either site will give helpful user reviews. (Netflix members: did you know that the number of red stars indicates how well Netflix thinks you’ll like a movie based on other movies you’ve rated? Yellow stars indicate your own personal ratings.)
Here’s how the links are organized (some titles not available on Amazon Instant Video):
Amazon (DVD) | Amazon Instant Video (streamable rentals) | Netflix (DVDs by mail or streamable)
- While You Were Sleeping | Netflix – a quirky movie where ever character is well-acted (we love Joe Jr.!)
- Kate & Leopold | Amazon Instant Video | Netflix – Meg Ryan was already a star when this movie was released in 2001, but this is when many of us discovered Hugh Jackman
- That Thing You Do! | Netflix – FUN! FUN! FUN!
- Moonstruck | Amazon Instant Video | Netflix – I never get tired of this one
- The Princess Bride | Amazon Instant Video | Netflix (also a great family movie, Common Sense Media rated for ages 8 and up)
[Email subscribers click over to watch video content.]
Good Stuff You May have Missed
- The Artist | Netflix (currently available to stream) – brilliant silent film that won Best Picture in 2012
- Skyfall | Amazon Instant Video (for purchase) |Netflix (available 3/12/13) – Bond, James Bond
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol | Amazon Instant Video | Netflix (currently available to stream) – an exciting spy thriller where things don’t always go as planned
- Argo | Amazon Instant Video (available now for purchase) | Netflix (releases 31/19/13) – a fascinating look at real-life political events
And They Danced: Movies with Killer Dance Scenes and Soundtracks
I’m a sucker for a good dance scene and these movies contain two of my favorites. George Strait and Harry Connick, Jr. may not win any Academy Awards, but they’re perfect for these rolls and the soundtracks are awesome.
- Hope Floats | Amazon Instant Video (48-hour rental) | Netflix
- Pure Country | Amazon Instant Video (48-hour rental or purchase) | Netflix
“Dancing is just a conversation between two people. Talk to me.”
[I think someone recorded this video in a movie theater! Drive in?]
Oldies but Goodies
- The Manchurian Candidate (1962) | Netflix – if you’ve never seen the 1962 original, prepare to have your socks. knocked. off
- The Philadelphia Story | Amazon Instant Video (48 hr. rental) | Netflix – Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart: what’s not to like?
- North By Northwest | Amazon Instant Video (48 hr. rental) | Netflix – a classic from Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock
- The Complete Thin Man Collection: (The Thin Man / After the Thin Man / Another Thin Man / Shadow of the Thin Man / The Thin Man Goes Home / Song of the Thin Man / Alias Nick and Nora) | Netflix – high style crime/drama/romantic comedies with Nick and Nora Charles.
The Best Movies You’ve Never Seen
- Legend of 1900 | Netflix – The Legend of 1900—an infant abandoned on an ocean liner is raised by the crew and becomes a piano virtuoso, never setting foot on land
- Dear Frankie | Amazon Instant Video | Netflix – In 2004, before Gerard Butler started taking flashy, sub-par movies, he made this warm, beautifully romantic film. It contains one of the best screen kisses ever and another great dance scene.
- Lady in the Water | Amazon Instant Video (48-hour rental) | Netflix – Director M. Night Shyamalan creates a story full of interesting and engaging characters, beautifully acted. A must see!
- The Count of Monte Cristo | Amazon Instant Video | Netflix – I gave this one 5 stars on my Netflix rating
- Frequency | Netflix – action, mystery, drama, and father/son relationships all tied into one suspenseful movie about a fireman who communicates with his father in another time period through a HAM radio as they attempt to solve a mystery and change past and future events
Stream a Series on Netflix
- Friday Night Lights – 5 seasons of one of the greatest marriages I’ve seen on TV
- White Collar – 3 seasons of slick and enjoyable white collar crime drama
- Alias – 5 seasons and still as fun as it was in ’01
- 24 – 8 seasons of action, adventure and Jack Bauer!
- My Name is Earl – 4 seasons of petty criminal, Earl, trying to right all the wrongs he’s done after winning the lottery; cooky lovable cast; episodes are only 20 minutes long
- Downton Abbey – stream season 1 and find out why this is the show everyone’s talking about
- Sherlock – 2 seasons (6 long episodes) and a modern-day take on one of my favorite characters and his sidekick: Watson writes a blog and Sherlock carries a smart phone
To Entertain the Kids
- Inkheart (only $4.99) | Amazon Instant Video (48-hour rental) | Netflix – I love movies for kids that are about books and reading. Common Sense Media rates this one for ages 9 and up.
- The Muppets (2011) | Amazon Instant Video (for purchase) | Netflix – You’ll enjoy this as much as your kids.
If you like this post, please share this post with others or Pin it so you don’t lose the list. Let me know if you find a new favorite date night movie here or have any to add!